Founded on Yahoogroups, on 1 May 1999, 4 Emulators and ROMs was a popular discussion group for those seeking likeminded individuals to swap cheatcodes, stories and tips, but never ROMs, despite the name. While not an original member of the group, Sentinel618 joined around 2005 when the overall popularity of yahoogroups was already starting to wane due to gradual and unpopular changes being made to yahoogroups overall, and coerced his way into an Admin role within the group, assisting the admin team to remove inactive members and spambots. By 2015, yahoogroups was a shell of its former glory and despite the endeavours of a core group of commited members, the 4 Emulators And ROMs group was being pulled into obscurity.
The group was reborn on Facebook.com, being officially just a week after the 15th Anniversary of the group, on 10 May 2015, with the majority of the admin team and wider, active member-base making the move to the new group.
The group image and description used from the group’s 10th Birthday until its eventual closure, on yahoogroups.
STAR DATE 9905.02: Emulation is growing faster than we could have ever imagined. Starfleet command has directed us to do preliminary explorations across the internet in search of a gathering place where video game junkies of all ages can collaborate and relive the classics.
SUPPLEMENTAL: Our preliminary findings have been successful! We have sent a landing party down to quickly establish a fertile community capable of kicking asses, chewing bubblegum, and shooting breezes.
MISSION: To help others help themselves, help others. No problem is too big or small or stupid. Just ask and we will try to help.
1. Attack the opinion, not the person.
2. No spam, blogs, politics, or religion allowed.
3. This is a sharing post, not a trading post. Selling of ROMs is strictly forbidden. Off topic posts are always welcomed.
DISCUSS: Nintendo Wii, Gamecube, N64, Snes, Nes, Nds, Gba, Gbc, Gb, Virtual Boy, Sega Dreamcast, Saturn, CD/32X, Genesis, Master System, Nomad, Game Gear, Sony PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP, X-Box/360, N-Gage, Gamepark GP32, Atari Jaguar, 7800, 5200, 2600, Lynx, Nec Turbo Grafx 16, Turbo Express, Snk Neo Geo/Pocket Color, Bandai Playdia, Pippin, Wonderswan Color/Crystal, Philips CD-I, Panasonic 3DO, Colecovision, Intellivision, Magnavox Oddysey, Bally Arcade, Astrocade, Emerson Arcadia 2001, RCA Studio 2, Fairchild, FM Towns Marty, Microvision, Vectrex, Adventurevision, MAME (inc. Kawaks, Nebula, NeoRageX, Final Burn, Zinc, Mess, Daphne, Raine, Calice, Callus, Impact, Crystal System, Cinematronics, Sega Model 2, System 8/16/24/C2 etc.), Computers (Amiga, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, Sinclair Spectrum, Apple, Atari ST, Oric Atmos) emulators, roms, patches, translations, cheats, codes, game saves, gaming music, game art, walkthroughs, manuals, demos, trainers
Frequently Asked Questions
What do the various ROM codes mean?
The following was compiled by Keith Venable, Facebook Group Moderator, from an entry on github.com
(-) Unknown Year
[!] Verified Good Dump (this is usually the version you want)
[a] Alternate (alternate version of the game, usually trying a different output method)
[b] Bad Dump (crappy port / buggy)
[f] Fixed (fixed the rom port from a previously-bad version)
[h] Hack (Don’t bother unless you’re looking for weird stuff)
[J] Japanese translation
(M#) Multilanguage (# of Languages)
[t] Trainer port (A trainer is special code which executes before the game is begun. It allows you to access cheats from a menu)
[T-] Old translation
[T+] Newer translation
(U) or (E) or (UE) or (U)(E) English translation
(1) Japan & Korea
(4) USA & Brazil – NTSC
(F) World (Genesis)
(FC) French Canadian
(HK) Hong Kong
(PD) Public Domain
(Unk) Unknown Country
[BF] Bung Fix (Bung released a programmable cartridge compatible with the Game Boy which could hold any data you wished to play. However, many games do not function on Bung v1.0 carts and have to be “fixed”).
[C] Color (for Game Boy Color)
[S] Super (for Super Game Boy)
Sega Mega Drive (Genesis)
(1) Japan – Carts with this code will run on both Japanese and Korean machines.
(4) USA – While this code is technically the same as a (U) code, it is a newer header format and represents that the cart will run on USA and Brazil NTSC machines.
(5) NTSC Only
(8) PAL Only
(B) Brazil – Intended for use by Brazilian audiences.
[c] Checksum – Indicates a ROM with known faulty checksum routines.
[x] Bad Checksum
SNES (Super Famicom)
(BS) BS ROMs – These Japanese ROMs were distributed through a satellite system in Japan known as the Broadcast Satellaview. They were transmitted along with a TV show which was connected to the game in some way. These games were only playable during the show, and thus stop after an hour, and many were timed so that only certain time periods were playable.
(NP) Nintendo Power – Nintendo Power has been known to release games only available to its subscribers. Most of these ROMs are Japanese, as this practice occurred mainly in Japan.
(ST) Sufami Turbo – The Sufami Turbo device allowed two Game Boy sized carts to be plugged into the SNES. Certain carts combined into new games much like the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on technology by Sega.
[PC10] Playchoice 10 version
[VS] Vs Version
- The Common Sense Is Strong In This One – Consider your opinions before voicing them.
- My World Network does not condone nor support illegal activity. Commercial ROMs are almost always* illegal. As such there is zero tolerance for trading of ROMs within any My World Network-platform.
- No Shameless Self-Promotion – Give more to this group than you take. Promoting your own group(s), page(s), etc, without Admin approval is not permitted. It’s also only right that this is done on a quid pro quo basis. YouTube** (or its successor) videos are handled differently, see below.
- If you wish to share your YouTube** video, post the video link ONLY, to the YouTube Exchange group and link to that post from your 4E&R post.
- Stay On Target – Discussions should be centred around video gaming, more specifically retro video gaming, emulators and ROMs.
* Certain countries permit personal use copies, this does not grant the right for said copies to be shared.
** Or mainstream alternative, as judged by My World Network Administrators.